- The Rules of rummy card game is to arrange the 13 cards in valid sets and sequences (Pure and Impure). The winner of a rummy game should have at least one pure sequence and the rest can be any valid sequence or sets. Pure sequence is mandatory to win a Rummy game, without a pure sequence a player cannot make a valid declaration.
- The first group is a pure sequence, the second group is an impure sequence with a printed joker and the third group is an impure sequence again with 6 as a wild card joker and the 4th group is a set of Ace.
Pure Sequence -
- A Pure Sequence is a group of three or more cards of the same attire placed in a sequential order. Any sequence without a joker becomes a pure sequence. Remember, if a wild card joker sits in a proper sequence of the same suit it will be a pure sequence.
- Example of a pure sequence
- 6 ♦7♦ 8♦ (Pure sequence with three cards without a Joker)
- 10♥ J♥ Q♥ K♥ (Pure sequence with four cards without a joker)
Impure/Valid Sequence -
- An Impure Sequence is a group of three or more cards of the same attire with one or more Joker used (printer Joker or Wild card Joker)
- Example of an impure card
- 2♦ 3♦ Q♠ 5♦ (Q♠ is used as a wild Joker replacing 4♦ to form an impure sequence.)
- 2♠ Q♥ 4♠ 5♠ PJ (Impure sequence with Q♥ as wild card joker replacing 3♠ and Printed Joker is replacing 6♠).
- A set is a group of 3 or 4 cards of different suits but of the same value. One can use any kind of joker (wild or printed) to replace any card in the set.
- Note – You can use a wild card and printed joker to form sets
· K♦ K♣ K♠ K♥ (K cards are from 4 different form a valid set.)
· 2♥ 2♣ 2♦ (2 are not of the same suit, this is a valid set.)
· 7♦ 7♣ 7♠ PJ (Printed joker replacing 7♥ to make set.)
· J♦ Q♠ J♠ J♥ (Q♠ is used as wild joker replacing J♣ to form a set.)
· 9♦ 9♣ K♠ PJ (Here K♠ has been used as wild joker replacing 9♠ & Printed joker replacing 9♥ to make set.)
Example of a winning rummy: A♥ 2♥ 3♥ 4♥| 4♣ 5♣ 6♣ 7♣ | 6♦ 6♣ PJ J♥ J♠ (Set of 6 cards is made to complete the grouping of 13 cards and make a valid declaration, here there are three jokers one PJ and 2 wild card jokers)
Remember: Please don’t forget that set is formed with the same card value of different suits and not the same suit. You simply can’t use two or more cards of the same suit. Also, at any given point a player should have 13 cards.
Example of Invalid declaration:
- K♥ K♥ K♦ (There are two Ks of the same suit ♥ making it an invalid set.)
- 4♠ 4♥ 4♦ 4♠ Q♥ (this set has two 4 spades of the same suit. The wild card Q♥ as the fifth card is valid but having two 4♠ is makes it invalid).
- If an invalid declaration is made a player will lose the maximum points of the game.